Things are starting to look a lot like Christmas! The tree is up, lights are hanging outside, the garland is hung, and the Christmas book bin is out in the kids play area. Ahhh, and sugar cookies! Cody wanted to bake them himself. Boy was the kitchen a mess when he was done, but the look of joy on his face, that he did it himself, was awesome.
Yesterday, I talked about how many things have broken, don’t fit or can’t be found all within this past week. Well today was no exception. I was awakened to our youngest yelling at me to get up. It was really early for him to be up, so I asked him politely to stop yelling at me and tell me nicely what he needed. “There’s a fire!” I jumped up to see what was going on and then I saw it. Ah, my little one was at it again. He was trying so hard to be just like his big brother.
Hayden had got up early, went into the fridge and grabbed a huge hunk of leftover cookie dough and decided to make himself a sugar cookie. He stuffed as much dough as he could fit, into a cookie cutter, placed it on a plate and decided to cook it in the microwave…on his own. Number one, he knows better and number two, he used a METAL cookie cutter.
By the time I got to the microwave there were flames jumping inside. I quickly grabbed a cup of water and doused the flames. Smoke started pouring out and Hayden and I ran to start opening doors and windows. When the smoke started to clear, we sat down and talked about how he isn’t old enough to use anything that cooks things, on his own. That metal inside the microwave is what started the fire. That he needs to wake Mommy up, first thing, if he wakes up early. I really think he got it. Seeing those flames was an eye opener for him. Luckily he wasn’t hurt, and nor was our house.
Fast forward several hours. Cody is working on making some Ramen on the stove and I started to smell smoke again. I run downstairs to check it out, as I hear Hayden yelling to Cody “Smoke! You didn’t put metal in the microwave did you? Metal is bad for microwaves.” Needless to say, Hayden heard me this morning. Turns out that there was something under the burner, and that is what caused the smell. No biggie, just means I need to clean the stove again.
When James got home, he tackled cleaning out the monster of a mess, from the exploded plate and water. Yes, I did say exploded. Thank God that it was inside of the microwave, and that Hayden didn’t get hurt. The metal cookie cutter melted to the plate and the cookie dough was a solid block of black! When everything was all cleaned up, we checked it out and yup just as I thought, the microwave was fried. So we added needing a microwave to the ever-growing list of things broken, do not fit, or lost.
Having faith with the little things is amazing. James uploaded the picture he snapped of the mess to Facebook, and within a couple of hours we had a friend offer us their not needed microwave. Yup, that’s right. They just moved to a place that has a built-in microwave so they do not need their old one. Amazing! God works things out, you just have to be patient. Sometimes, not for that long. So, even with the fire and needed items list growing, God is working things out, and it’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas.
Knowing this, that the trying of your faith works patience.
James 1:3 NKJV
Share with us some things God has provided for you, just when you needed it. Were you patient or did you grow patience?