Okay everyone, it is just about the end of January. I told you I would be checking in with you, to see how you are doing on sticking to your goals. So, how are you doing with your goals?
I know for myself, I am not doing so well. I have only posted half as much as I expected and planned. Yeah, there are plenty of reasons why I didn’t post like I thought I would, and they are all valid reasons. So I need to just put January behind me and refocus on February. Maybe that is what you need to do. Or maybe you did an amazing job this month, but are starting to lose steam. Either way we need to start fresh in February.
If we are going to start off fresh in February, I thought now would be a great time to review what we need to be working on.
- Start with a goal that is attainable. If you really want to lose weight, but you just don’t want to exercise or watch what you eat, then losing weight would not be an attainable goal. Think of something that you really feel a passion to fix/work on in your life. Those are the goals that you are most likely going to stick with even when change is getting old.
- Get the family involved. Goals are great, but if you are the only one who knows about them, then you are more likely to slack off after a while. If you get your family involved in the change then you can work on whatever the goal is together. When one of you is ready to give up, another family member can hold you up and carry you through the rough patch.
- Have a plan. Yes, I did say plan. Maybe the plan will change as the year goes by, but for now think of what you can do everyday during the month to work on your goal. Habits take time to set in. I believe the saying goes that it takes 20 days to set a routine in stone. That is just about an entire month. So lets lay out our first 30 days of our new goal. I get overwhelmed very easy with large tasks so breaking up the tasks into smaller ones makes every goal more attainable. Get a blank calendar out and mark it up with a simple task you can do each day during this month to get you on a great start to achieving your goal. These are simple tasks remember. For example, if your goal is to lose weight then maybe every Thursday you weigh yourself and mark down your weight. Maybe you track all the food you eat. Maybe on some days you direct yourself to exercise. Do this for all the days in the month. At the end of the month you most likely will not have achieved your goal, but at least you will be on the right path.
- Stick with it. Sticking with it is the hard part. However we have just finished laying out our plan for the month. So for now, all you need to focus on is the daily goal you set for yourself. At the end of the month revisit your daily goals. Were you able to keep to them? Could you change some of them to work better for you or your habits? When January comes to a close-set daily goals for February. By only looking one day at a time you should be able to attain your goal much easier. Just keep thinking to yourself that you only have to work on this goal through the current month. Stop thinking this is a year-long process. You are only working on this goal for this month and you are only working on this task for today. Yes, next month you will have the same goal, but you will have new daily tasks set up, and only for that month. You will revisit your goal at the end of every month to adjust things as needed. Remember, YOU CAN DO THIS!
Now that we have reviewed what we need to do to attain our goal, it is time to ponder on our success or flops over the last month.
- Did we start with an attainable goal?
- Did we get our family involved?
- Did we set attainable daily goals?
- Were you able to keep to our daily goals?
- Could you change some of them to work better for you or your habits?
Based on how you just answered the above questions will give you some ideas going forward with planning out for February. Just like at the beginning of January, pull out that blank calendar and start filling in small daily goals for February. Remember, if you were struggling with one daily goal, maybe you either need to change the time you work on that goal, or you need to think of a better daily goal. Set yourself up for success and you most likely will succeed. YOU CAN DO THIS!
I will check in with you again at the end of February to see how you are doing. Together we can make our dreams come true, one day at a time.
How did you do this month on your goals? Sharing your success or flops could help motivate someone to keep going, so comment away.